Monday, January 08, 2007

Veronica speaks out!

Today, we bring you a guest blogger! Veronica is one of the talented young people involved in Crossing Gibraltar, Cahoots' training program for refugee youth. You might recognize her from the article about the program in The Star. She, along with 5 other youth will be joining the cast of The Sheep and the Whale which begins rehearsal today! Stay tuned for more blog entries from our fabulous chorus!

My First Day
by Veronica

After several surgeries in my body all of them in my right side, because of my medical condition, I did not expect in my entire life that I would be participating in a theatre. I tell you why? First of all I am from Colombia, In Colombia is very hard, if you have a disability like me. To get a program like Crossing Gibraltar, they want perfect people. Was disappointed with that, but in Canada is different why? Because people have respect for each other, here I found peace, also opportunities. Before this program I was an insecure person, my self-confident was destroyed. One day my friend Linden gave me all information about Crossing Gibraltar, also she recommended me that it would be excellent for me; she knows everything in my life, she is a great support for me, she encourage me to go to Cahoots Theatre.I invited my best friend Julliette, she is from Colombia too, the reason why I told her is because I was afraid of being alone in theatre, she was afraid too, but no more that me, both decided to go on Saturday.

I am going to tell you the first day: That day Julliette and me took the subway to Dundas West, we were on time (for me is very important to be punctual) but that day was DISASTER for both. The streetcar had an accident so we arrived one hour late, I told Julliette that we begun very badly the first day; Marjorie opened the door, we were tired we did everything to be early but we could not. That first day I was excited, I wanted to be there, I asked Marjorie if they would have any problems with me because I could not move very well, she answered that it not a problem, at that time I thought that I was trying to prove myself, that I have a talent, I am youth person, I have many qualities to express to other people.

2 comments:

Juliette B. said...

hi AMIGA!!! I know that you are a strong woman. Although you have faced many obstacles in your life, you have been able to conquer a lot of goals, and I'm glad to see that this program has been as cathartic for you as it has been for me.

Juliette Burgos

Lisa PN said...

And to me, you are both such an inspiration. All of the participants were so brilliant and courageous and strong. I applaude you on all of your hard work and will be there to see you on stage!

Best,
Lisa Pijuan-Nomura