Gateway Theatre, Richmond's professional theatre company, invites
submissions from established and emerging Canadian playwrights for
SceneFirst, our New Play Development Program. Now into its third season,
SceneFirst focuses on developing and producing new works as well as
providing developmental support for many other works in progress. Last
year we received over 100 submissions and four were selected for public
Scripts selected for SceneFirst will receive a short workshop and staged
reading in March 2007, and will be automatically short-listed for
production in our upcoming seasons.
Deadline for Submissions: October 31, 2006.
1. Scripts must be Canadian, original, unproduced and between 60
and 120 minutes in length. Scripts previously submitted to SceneFirst
will not be accepted.
2. Playwrights must be citizens or landed immigrants of Canada.
3. We will accept one submission per playwright.
4. Political plays are encouraged. This includes the politics of
government, the workplace, relationships, evolving communities etc.
5. Cast size: Plays in our season usually range in cast size from
6. Plays of specific ethnic origins are welcome but must be
submitted in an English translation.
7. Please include a one-page synopsis with your submission. The
Synopsis should include theme, plot, and length of play, character
breakdown and any doubling possibilities.
8. Please include a title page, with the name of play, author's
name and contact information.
9. Submissions must be in hard copy only (emails will NOT be
accepted), typed or word-processed, single sided, and minimum 11-point
font on white paper. All pages must be numbered with the title of the
play on each page.
10. Please DO NOT submit original copies; Gateway Theatre will not
- Gateway Theatre encourages contemporary casting for all play
readings and productions.
- Playwrights whose scripts are selected are encouraged to attend
the workshop and staged reading. An honourarium will be provided to
writers however travel is the responsibility of the artist.
Scripts should be mailed to:
Barbara Tomasic, Artistic Associate
6500 Gilbert Road,
Richmond, B.C. V7C 3V4